Sunday 6 April 2014

Road of 3000 Curves – The Devil’s Backbone

I had to be out of the Red Motel by 7am so I set my alarm and had one of the earliest starts of the trip. The road went straight into the mountains and the early morning gullies were chilly, getting as low as five degrees Celsius. 
The road started promising good things from the beginning, winding up into the mountains. 
After thirty or so kilometres, I was getting hungry and I found a nice little place for breakfast where a couple of trucks had stopped so that seemed like a good place and it was. None of them spoke any English so we had a couple of fumbled conversations then I ate in silence.
 As I was leaving, one of the truck drivers came out to his truck and gave me two large orange-like fruits, that ended up possibly being grapefruit but sweeter like an orange, and the juiciest thing I had ever eaten. Once again the spontaneous generosity of Mexicans is always surprising, always welcome and certainly always humbling.
 The road of 3000 curves did not disappoint. I made some video of it because words can’t describe how spectacular not only the ride was but the views along the way. 
There were so many bends that by the second half I felt for the first time that I was really in sync with Ziggy. As I’ve said a few times, 30,000kms in Australia was mostly long and flat, and when I did come across twisting roads, it didn’t last for long, the tyres were squared off from the long hot straights, and I never really did enough to feel one hundred percent comfortable.
 Today my riding hit a different level. Not that I was trying to go fast and scrape footpegs, but at some point I became totally relaxed, letting Ziggy do her thing and we rolled from side to side as one like we were dancing ballet. The bends became a flowing motion, the leaning went further but with less effort, the tyres seemed to be glued to the pavement and I think mostly I was no longer concerned about the steep edges, which allowed me to relax and not restrict Ziggy’s movement. I think I had been subconsciously fighting with Ziggy as she wanted to just roll into the curves, the hesitation within me held back, affecting the smoothness of the line. Now my lines were smooth and natural and it was some of the most fulfilling riding I have ever done. I say that a lot, but the roads and experiences just keep getting better. I really think I turned a corner today with my riding...pun intended!
 Then my day hit an all time high. I saw another travel bike coming the other way high up in the curvy mountain roads, so I indicated that I was stopping and pulled over at a nearby clearing. Then a second bike came and pulled in behind me. The first bike returned and I met Billy and Trish.
Billy and Trish are a couple of Australians…well Billy is actually a Kiwi but lived in Australia for decades…who have been travelling around the world by bike for seven years – this time. As I got off the bike, a female voice said,
‘You must be Nomad Paul. I saw the Queensland plate and thought it was you. I’ve been reading your blog and knew you were in Chihuahua and wondered if you were coming down this way.’
It was such a joy to hear an Australian accent, inspiring to hear their stories of travel and gratitude for the information they gave me in our short interlude. We started talking and eventually had lunch and spent a good two hours exchanging stories and laughing. We were all on the same page. It is amazing how frank and relaxed you can be with your own countrymen compared to just about all others. The irony was that they are from near Broome in Western Australia and we have some common acquaintances. I had lived in Derby for a year where they were like folklore; the mysterious couple who worked at Cape Leveque for two months a year then continued travelling the world by motorcycle.

They do a lot of wild camping and had stories of camping in every country I could think to ask about. They are such an inspiration, such humble, down to earth people. I wanted to spend a week with them to listen to their stories, but we were heading opposite directions and we both needed to get to our destinations before dark. I don’t normally have regrets, but I think I will regret not following them to a camping area for the night just to continue the great connection we found with each other.
But after two hours, we packed up and went our different directions with each other’s contact details. They pointed me towards Hotel Lerma in Mazatlan where they had spent the last three months and for me it was the perfect destination to rest and relax and get right back into my positive mind-frame. The road of 3000 curves and the ‘chance’ meeting with Billy and Trish already had me on a real emotional high. This was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment