Tuesday 3 February 2015

Costa Rica - Monteverde and Failed Brakes!

I decided to head to Monteverde in the mountains. I heard it was picturesque and I love to get into the mountains. I packed and did my farewells 
then rode back to Paquera and took the ferry to Punta Arenas on the mainland. It was a large ferry that took 45 minutes with some nice sunshine to warm me. 
As we berthed in Punta Arenas I walked to the bike and started up. I noticed that my brake warning light was flashing rapidly, so I turned off the bike and started again. I tried the brakes and they felt spongy. I tried on and off a few times but it didn’t make any difference.
 I rode across the ramp onto the land and realised I had virtually no brakes. The power assist wasn’t working. I pulled over and spent an hour on the side of the road checking everything I could on the bike but I couldn’t get the brakes operating properly. I decided to ride on to Monteverde, and although the brakes were not working well, they did actually stop me, but slowly. I became accustomed to them after a while but had to make sure I wasn’t in any emergency situation that required fast braking because they simply wouldn’t stop me fast enough.
 It was Friday afternoon and I figured I wouldn’t find a mechanic until Monday and I had time to take it slowly to Monteverde, so I headed for the mountains. It was a lovely ride and not much traffic on the highway before I turned onto a smaller road that wound into the mountains. It was sunny and I had about 80kms to go. I felt ok and although confused about what happened to the brakes I was getting used to it and riding with more caution.
 With about 20kms to go I came to a road junction and a road block. It was just after 4pm and the guard told me that the road would open at 5pm. I knew it was getting dark at six so I was hoping I would get there in time. Good for his word, the barricade came down at five and I rode ahead of the traffic with three other motorcycles. The road wound up and up along the dirt for several kilometres until we came to some trucks and heavy machinery packing up for the day. We had to wait for one of the machines to load onto the truck and the light was starting to fade quickly. Another fifteen minutes and we were on the way in a decreasing quality and width of dirt road, now with oncoming traffic and dust.
 As it became darker some fog started moving in. I had no idea how far I had to go at this stage, maybe ten kilometres. The fog made it dark and I could only see the distance of my headlight. So here I was riding at night in the fog, on a dirt road heading higher into the mountains, no significant brakes on my bike and wondering why I chose this place to stay the weekend. I finally saw some town lights in the distance at the bottom of a steep descent and I followed my ever reliable iPhone App to the hostel I hadn’t booked, but hoped had a vacancy. It did.
 I stayed the night and in the morning walked around the small town, checking out the options for activities. It was full of jungle swings and zip-lines, but all I could really think about was the problem with the brakes, so I decided to just do a nocturnal walk in the national park. During the afternoon some heavy grey clouds moved in and the rain started and didn’t abate all night. I had planned on entering San Jose on Monday morning but had also been throwing around the idea of leaving Sunday to miss the horrid peak-hour traffic, ever present in Central American cities. Either way I had to leave early because I discovered the road I had taken was closed from 7am to 5pm everyday for roadworks. The other roads were a lot further to travel through the mountains, not a good prospect with my brakes.
 I decided to leave on Sunday, ultimately a good decision, and rode off in the dark towards the roadworks again. The rain had taken its toll and I found myself in the roadworks area slipping and sliding in the mud. It had been churned up by cars and had some very wet boggy areas. I haven’t ridden much in mud and going downhill, it’s probably good my brakes were not working well because there was a temptation to use them more than I should. I knew I had to keep the power to the back wheel and focus well ahead. I wound my way slowly downhill as the darkness lifted and after a few heart in the mouth moments I eventually came to the turnoff where I had been stopped two days ago. It was before 7am and I was now below the fog and on a nice winding country road with clear skies, heading down to San Jose. I finally relaxed and enjoyed my riding for a while, knowing that I didn’t need my brakes much as there was not much traffic around and not too many sharp bends.
 After a couple of hours riding including a stop for breakfast, I entered into the outskirts of San Jose. The traffic was light, as expected, and finally I realised that this was the best strategy entering into a new city. Do it on a Sunday or public holiday. I wound towards a hostel I had been recommended in the city and found myself in the middle of a breast cancer awareness event after trying six or seven times to access the road that the hostel was on. 
The parade was running straight past the hostel so a friendly local cop gave me permission to ride down the street and access the hostel after telling me all about his 1800cc Harley.


No comments:

Post a Comment