Friday 17 April 2015

Venezuela Summary

I stayed a day to recover and prepare for my next adventure – entering Brazil followed shortly after by Guyana. It was a fitting finish to Venezuela and six weeks of what for me is Adventure Motorcycling essence. Sure, I don’t do all the offroad riding many others do but Venezuela is the road less travelled. I came and conquered it and let intuition guide the way and guide me through. 
From the moment I entered the country with the help of Mario at the border and his selfless, generous hospitality with his family, I’m forever grateful and we will remain great friends. The time with his family and especially getting away to SocopĆ³ with his son Mario and meeting all the great people there for the weekend. Merida, with your untamed mountains, a friendly, beautiful city with some of the best food of my trip. Thanks to Walter for your generous hospitality and time to take me to meet great people. The Mucuchies region with the views and colourful hamlets nestled in the mountains where I spent a night huddled around an open fire in a remote mountain hut. The long plains heading east and the friendly, colourful and interesting Sucre region bordered by the Caribbean. And finally down into Ciudad Bolivar and the trips to Angel Falls, Canaima and Roraima.


Venezuela has captivated me with its diversity of people, places and adventures and as I look at the map I have done a simple line and missed so much of the country. A place to explore, for the traveller with USD a bargain basement destination, a friendly place going through some difficult times but with so much potential to bounce back. I never felt in danger, I was never threatened nor even had rude words with anyone. It was a great adventure that will stay fondly in my memory and my heart. I can speak now from experience what I think Venezuela is like to visit and I say, what’s stopping you? 
Take a few precautions, know your limitations but get there and give the people hope that they are not completely abandoned, that what you see on the news is not a normal daily thing in the vast majority of the country. I nearly didn’t come. It was only my intuition that screamed at me to turn around as I approached Ecuador. I am so glad I did. Venezuela you did me proud!!

No comments:

Post a Comment