Monday 17 March 2014

A bit of Texan time y'all (Part 3)

The Adventure Challenge was to start the next day, Saturday, but I wasn’t keen to use up fuel and tyres racing around Big Bend, so I took a few little rides around the area to have a look at the sights.

The day started very windy and continued getting stronger, blowing dust up everywhere and giving a thick haze over the surrounding mountains. It wasn’t pleasant to ride in. Some guys that were camping nearby rode a couple of BMW 450 Enduros and I saw them parked outside a small Mexican cantina so I stopped to say hello. I had already met Bob in the campground where we had a good chat about bikes and travel. He was very excited about my trip and after we spoke, he came over and handed me $30.
‘This is for a tank of gas for your trip’.
‘I can’t take that, that’s too much. I don’t expect that type of help’.
‘I just want to, please take it. I think it’s amazing what you’re doing and I want to contribute.’


I had come across so much in-kind generosity in the US, with beds, meals and tour guidance, but hard cash was really surprising and I was humbled. Bob was with two friends, Phillip, a friend they had met a few years ago on a bike trip, and Bob’s good friend Jessie. We had a great talk and lots of laughs, swapping travel stories and anecdotes from the places we lived. As the only Aussie around I felt like a bit of a celebrity and everyone wanted to hear about my trip. After an hour or so we headed off and I saw Bob again in the campground, but Phillip and Jessie were not around. Bob and I went up to the big verandah to get out of the wind and had a couple of drinks (he had beer, I drank water) 
I was hungry and had been in contact with the organisers of the eventsand invited to the Saturday night banquet and show.I rode to the place called Study Butte (pronounced stoody boot) and easily found the hall with fifty or more bikes out the front and side. I walked in and introduced myself and the door ladies were expecting me. They took my $15 and directed me to the food where I picked a selection from the buffet and sat at a table. Sitting there were three women, two of whom I had met on one of the short rides today, at the head of a trail. I was looking for Study Butte and had gone the total opposite direction. Teach me to look at maps. I stopped at a sign to look at my maps and a car pulled up with Julie and Angela. They were here to see a friend Amy, who was sitting at the table at the banquet, and told me how she had lived in Australia and they were camping on her property near Terlingua.
Amy and I started talking and for the first time in a few days I could talk easily without having to make myself understood by correcting my words to American English. Amy had lived in Canberra for three years and she was tuned in to the Aussie lingo. It was a fun night with lots of presentation for those that finished the challenges and I met lots of interesting people from far and wide in the US, all of them passionate about their bikes and riding. 
As the temperature dropped, fortunately so did the wind, I rode back to my tent and arrived to find it still standing and with only a little bit of silt inside. Not a bad effort for an ultralight that weighs less than 500g to stand up to that pounding wind all day.
I slept well and woke early, packing up straight away and snacking on a muesli bar and some water. I could stop for a coffee or a bigger breakfast along the way. By 8am I was packed and started Ziggy to warm her engine. The wind was still cool and I had worked in it with my beanie and riding gear to keep me warm. Only a few cars ambled by and apart from that, all was quiet. 
I was a bit surprised that everyone had talked about the roads west of Austin but no-one had mentioned the road I was on. This was the most stunning, twisty, undulating and sometimes scary road I had ridden in the US. Blind corners and blind rises where the road could go to the left or right but you couldn’t tell till you arrived. It was raining ahead and fortunately I only had the wet roads and not the actual rain, making the trip a bit slower and even more fun!

I came across an old movie set
And a great idea for rest areas

No comments:

Post a Comment