Friday 10 October 2014

El Salvador - La Tortuga Verde

I booked into the hostel and noticed two other travel bikes, another 1200GSA and a Kawasaki KLR 650 with British rider Jamie on a surfing riding tour. 
I checked out the BMW to see where the plates were from, El Salvador, then I was approached by a tall guy with long dreadlocks.
‘Is this your bike?’
‘Yes. My name is Rory.’
‘No way!’ I explained that Cisco had told me to keep a look out for him as Rory had stayed with Cisco as he was travelling through Guatemala. Cisco struggled to understand why Rory had only made it to El Salvador and stayed for nearly two years. Rory is a surfer and when I saw this place it became immediately apparent to me. Not only was this as much of a paradise as the place I stayed last night but it was even less busy, longer beaches and a regular turtle laying area.
I knew right away I was going to stay a couple of nights at least and I was finding a strong pull from El Salvador to stay longer. When I find places like this I have to remind myself that I’m on a world motorcycle trip and at some point I have to leave. Ok, only two nights. Well maybe three. It didn’t help when Rory told me that if I book in for two weeks I get the following two weeks free. Also I can volunteer at the turtle sanctuary and that contributes to my accommodaton…
 One week later I managed to drag myself away from this paradise. Beachfront living with a pool, 
massage, great company, 
surfing if I want 
and cheap local seafood. It doesn’t get much better. I didn’t need to rest from my travels but being involved in baby turtle releases 

projects to improve their chances, egg burying, 
filming duties on their GoPro 
Observing female turtles laying eggs on the beach
and engagement with the local media were all fun and good feeling things to do. 
Aussies and Brits seem to gravitate to the beach more than in the mountains and I’ve hung out with some wonderful travellers and really enjoyed their company. 
La Tortuga Verde is a great destination and I can’t recommend it enough. As if it couldn't get any better, mother nature put on a show of storms and sunsets.
Many thanks to Tom and staff and ongoing volunteers for sharing your passion and expertise with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment