Sunday 28 September 2014

Ruta De Las Flores

To say the Ruta de Las Flores is spectacular is an understatement. Even in this season without flowers, mile after mile has manicured roadsides with lush vegetated mountains. 
Not only lush but planned and arranged in patterns of mature plants that checkerboard the hillsides. 
Green, mature, tropical, it was an outstanding ride through what I can see is a special place. The pride in the massive gardens of this area is apparent. It is clean, the roads are good and the people friendly. 
I tend to wave and smile at people as I go anyway but here it was different. Almost every person waved back with a big smile. No looking at me strangely, no turning their heads away but a big engaged grin and wave. In fact they seemed to love it that I was making the effort. The elderly, kids, almost everyone responded the same way.
 The rain had stopped and the roads were dry but it was a grey day with low light. I can only imagine what this place looks like in full bloom and sunshine. How is this not a targeted destination? I think the reputation of El Salvador is a disaster for the country and her people. It’s a place that has come out of its dark times, has great roads and small cities with all the facilities and modern infrastructure, yet the small towns are beautifully simple and El Salvadorian with pupusas – tortillas stuffed with cheese and beans – at roadside vendors. The beaches in the west are full of traditional fishermen and boys, with the surf waves building up along the centre of the coastline, attracting surfers from all over the world, to the long empty stretches of clean breaking surf to the east. Tricky to get access but worth the effort.
 The Ruta de Las Flores was ending so I stopped to buy bananas from a woman and her grandchild with a small table outside their house. She was just so lovely with a big warm smile and she kept taking my hand to shake it. I put the little guy on the bike and they took a photo with their phone. 
They were so chuffed that she gave me two fruits with big seeds and pink flesh, like a custard apple. That generosity again!

No comments:

Post a Comment