Sunday 28 September 2014

El Salvador - Santa Ana

It was getting towards the end of the week and I wanted to meet up with some BMW riders from Santa Ana (El Salvador) who I had met in Guatemala. I rode away from the coast and headed into the mountains and back to the west. I took the opportunity to check out Lake Coatepeque, another stunning volcanic lake with volcanoes in the background. 
I went for a ride around the lake then up to the hills around it, meeting some locals along the way. 
I took a turnoff to Cerre Verde, a national park up at the top of one of the volcanoes. It was a relatively clear day but as I climbed higher it became cloudier.
I arrived at the top and was taken on a guided walk to see a view of the lake and the adjoining mountain. 
As we started the walk a large cloud moved in to obscure the view. 
It was still a beautiful walk through the rainforest with old trees, 
but eventually I walked back to the bike and headed downhill towards Santa Ana. On the way it rained a little, then I noticed that my trusty steed was finally run in.
By the time I was down at lake level the rain had stopped and I found my way to La Casa Verde in Santa Ana. It was a top-class hostel, friendly, clean and cheap – with inside parking – so I booked in.
The next day went wandering through the lively little town.
I left the Green House and owner Carlos after two nights to meet up with David. After a couple of failed attempts at directions and finding his restaurant I gave up because I didn’t have phone connection, it was starting to rain and I was riding in circles. I headed towards the Ruta de Las Flores, one of many specified routes in El Salvador to explore unique features of the country. I eventually found my way to the smaller roads through the mountains.



No comments:

Post a Comment