Monday 22 September 2014

The tough road from Semuc Champey

In the morning I was still very sore but the injury was in a position that shouldn’t affect my riding too much. The driveway into Utopia was a bit understated earlier. It was extremely steep with two parallel concrete strips with grass in the centre and either side. It had rained quite a bit over the three nights I was here and the grass was wet, but the sky and concrete were dry.
On the way here I had gradually tackled more and more difficult roads and as you progress during a ride you adapt to the changes. After three days of relaxing off the bike, it can take a bit of time to get your ‘groove’ back. I was not too far from the top of the driveway when my balance shifted a little and I felt the rear tyre slip off the concrete strip onto the slippery wet grass between the strips. The rear wheel spun and the bike suddenly flipped around 90 degrees, throwing me off up hill. I jumped up and cut the engine and assessed the situation.
 I was unhurt and Ziggy will be fine, but now I was on a steep slope having to stand the 300kg machine up. Two of the staff raced up after hearing the revving of the engine and assuming the worst. We lifted the bike to get the rear wheel back on the concrete and walked the bike up rather than trying to get on again here. Thanks a lot guys, couldn’t have done it by myself. Another of the moments I should have had my camera out but didn't!
 It always shakes you getting thrown off a bike and these slopes are treacherous. Gravity is not your friend going downhill especially, but anytime on steep slopes I personally find it challenging and pretty scary on the dirt. The adrenalin was pumping and I could feel my chest heaving. I thought about the 20 kilometres ahead, without a doubt the most difficult roads of the trip. I didn't stop to photograph the worst parts of the road. These are the better parts I could find a place to stop.
I settled my breathing and decided it was time for some good positive self talk. It was time to put my faith in the abilities of Ziggy, this magnificent machine that has taken me on this six-month, 20,000km adventure without as much as a hesitation with anything I’ve put her through. I know Ziggy is completely capable of negotiating these roads and the only thing that can stop us is what I’m telling myself in my head.
It was almost two hours to get back to the tar road and by that time I was feeling good, Ziggy never had a slip or problem with any of the roads and I was happy with my mental game. I know I trust Ziggy’s capabilities and over time my skills have improved. These roads can be quite terrifying and takes a lot of experience to feel really comfortable, more so on a big loaded travel bike. My experience is mounting and this was a good test for me. I think I can take on much harder challenges than I could when I first entered Mexico and backed away from the tough off-road sections of Copper Canyon. The road to Semuc Champey is in the same ball park of difficulty so I was really proud of myself for taking it on and conquering my own fears.

No comments:

Post a Comment